In 1976 a group of concerned
citizens representing the City of Bridgeport, Bridgeport Housing Authority and other neighborhood agencies formed the West
End Neighborhood Advisory Council. They saw that there was a desperate need for medical and dental services in southwest Bridgeport
and submitted a request for Public Health Services, Section 330 funding to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare
to provide health care to their impoverished neighborhoods. The Health Center became a reality when the Advisory Council received
the “Notice of Grant Award” in August 1977. This funding was given to the City of Bridgeport to support the Health
Center for three years. At the end of this three year funding cycle the Council emerged as the Board of Directors with the
full fiduciary responsibilities of the newly incorporated Health Center. The services were relocated from Building #14 of
the P.T. Barnum complex to the refurbished St. Stephen’s School on Bird Street in 1978. On August 1, 1980 Southwest
Community Health Center was incorporated as a not-for-profit-entity.
that time SWCHC has expanded into the Marina Village Housing Complex at 743 South Avenue. Our 510 Clinton Avenue site offers
a full range of woman’s health services. The 1046 Fairfield Avenue site houses Behavioral Health services including
the Intensive Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment Program. In July 2007 SWCHC opened the 968 Fairfield Avenue building which
became the new main facility of the Health Center and offers medical, dental, and behavioral health services. In 2009 SWCHC
was awarded a sub-contract to offer medical, dental and mental health services in five School Based Health Centers through
the Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH). In January 2011 SWCHC was awarded a second subcontract to provide the Women,
Infants and Children (WIC) Food and Nutrition Services through DPH.
The staff of SWCHC looks forward to the continued expansion of health care services to benefit the Bridgeport community.